Sangeet Natak Akademi (SNA)
Sangeet Natak Akademi - India's national academy of music, dance and drama, is the first national academy of the arts set up in 1952 by the Republic of India. Sangeet Natak Akademi is an autonomous body of the Ministry of Culture, and is fully funded by the Government for the implementation of its schemes and programmes.
In fulfillment of its obligations under the UNESCO convention on Intangible Cultural Heritage (ICH), a statute to which India is a signatory, the Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India, has declared the Sangeet Natak Akademi, as the Nodal centre for coordinating India’s nominations for various UNESCO lists and other actions such as developing and maintaining the National Inventory of ICH.
The Akademi manages two national institutes of dance, the Jawaharlal Nehru Manipur Dance Academy in Imphal and the Khathak Kendra in New Delhi, as its constituent units. The Akademi has also set up Kutiyattam Kendra at Thiruvananthapuram, Sattriya Kendra at Guwahti, and a Regional Centre for the North-east in Guwahati.
The aims and objectives on which the Akademi was set up, are:
i. To co-ordinate the activities of regional or State Academies of music, dance and drama
ii. To promote research in the fields of performing arts and for this purpose, to establish a library and museum, etc.
iii. To co-operate with such similar Academies as there may be and other institutions and associations for the furtherance of its objects and for the enrichment of Indian culture as a whole
iv. To encourage the exchange of ideas and enrichment of techniques between the different regions in regard to the arts of music, dance and drama
v. To encourage the establishment of theatre centres, on the basis of regional languages, and cooperation among different theatre centres
vi. To encourage the setting up of institutions providing training in the art of theatre, including instructions in actor’s training, study of state-craft and production of plays
vii. To encourage and assist production of new plays by awarding prizes and distinctions
viii. To publish literature on Indian music, dance and drama including reference works such as an illustrated dictionary or handbook of technical terms.
- In furtherance of its objectives, the Akademi collaborates with the governments and art academies of different States and Territories of the Union of India’s as also with major cultural institutions in the country.
- The Akademi also establishes and looks after institutions and projects of national importance in the field of performing arts.
- Sangeet Natak Akademi also renders advice and assistance to the Government of India in the task of formulating and implementing policies and programmes in the field.
- Additionally, the Akademi carries a part of responsibility of the state for fostering cultural contacts between various regions in India and between India and the world.
It organizes performances of music, dance and theatre;
Promotes the diverse cultural expressions of India by organizing programs, festivals, training programs, workshops, seminars, exhibitions etc.
Gives awards in recognition of individual artistic or scholarly achievement
The Akademi also confers Fellowships on eminent artists and scholars of performing arts;
Subsidizes the work of institutions engaged in teaching, performing or promoting the performing arts;
Gives grants-in-aid for research, documentation and publishing in the performing arts;
Organizes seminars and conferences of subject specialists;
Documents and records the performing arts for its audio-visual archive;
Maintains a reference library and a gallery of musical instruments; and
Publishes literature on relevant subjects.
- Sangeet Natak Akademi, Rabindra Bhavan, Feroze Shah Road, New Delhi-110001
- email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com